The Lightbox2 module is a simple, unobtrusive script used to overlay images on the current page. It's a snap to setup and works on most modern browsers.
The module places images above your current page, not within. This frees you from the constraints of the layout, particularly column widths. It keeps users on the same page. Clicking to view an image and then having to click the back button to return to your site is bad for continuity (and no fun!).
The version 2 module has several benefits over the plain Lightbox module. Note, not all of these features are available in the 4.7.x version or when the "Lightbox2 Lite" option is enabled.
Group related images and navigate through them with ease - ideal for your image galleries.
Automatically transition between grouped images, includes play/pause and previous and next buttons.
Larger images are reduced in size so they fit snugly inside the browser window. A zoom in button can then be clicked on to see it in its original size, while a zoom out button is provided to return you to the scaled down version.
Note: You may need to reduce your browser window size in order to see this effect.
Choice of Layouts
There are two layouts provided, not including the "Lightbox2 Lite" version. The examples on this site all use what is known as the "Alternative Layout". The default layout can be seen in the screenshot below. In this example, the "Force visibility of navigation links" option has been enabled. When not enabled, the navigation buttons only appear when the mouse hovers over the image.
Ability to show websites or other HTML content in a lightbox.
Single page example:
Ability to show videos in a lightbox.
- Visual Effects: fancy pre-loader and transition when you click on the image.
- Keyboard Shortcuts: useful keyboard shortcuts for switching between images, toggling play / pause, etc.
- Automatic Image Detection: configurable automatic re-formatting of image node thumbnails, previews, etc, so there is no need to add 'rel="lightbox"' to each image node link on your site. Image, Inline, Flickr, Acidfree Albums, Image Assist, Embedded Media Field and CCK Imagefield modules are all supported (images must have the "inline", "thumbnail", "image-thumbnail", "preview", "image-preview", etc, classes). It's also possible to configure a list of custom image classes which will trigger the lightbox when clicked on.
- Control Over Lightbox Image Size: configure which image size should be displayed in the lightbox, e.g. preview or original.
- Imagecache Support: adds a Lightbox2 field formatter for CCK imagefields for your custom views.
- Image Page Link: a link to the image page can be provided within the lightbox itself. You can even specify if it should be opened in the current window or a new window.
- Page Exclusion Capability: exclude certain pages on your site from having the lightbox2 functionality.
- Gallery 2 Support: support for Gallery 2 images via the Gallery module (beta). See #179261 for information on how to customise your Gallery2 theme to work with lightbox2.
- Right-to-Left Language Support: support for right-to-left languages and themes.